The family was first resident at Ty Mawr, High St. where John Nicholl lived until 1599. His son and heir took up residence at another Llantwit property, The Ham. He was called Illtyd after the founding Saint of Llantwit Major. This became a given name for the Nicholls through succeeding generations. The family sons followed the professions, the law, the Church, medicine. The Sheriff of Glamorgan in 1746 was Whitlock Nicholl who had 14 children.
The family also had property in Monmouthshire near Tredunnock, and at Usk, which came to the family when George Nicholl married Eleanor Bond. The last of the Nicholls at the Ham was Mary Nicholl who died in 1905, and the last at Llanmaes, another Nicholl home, was Illtyd Bond Nicholl who died in 1941. [See Vol.7]