CRAWSHAY

This branch of the ironmaster’s family were tenants at Dimlands , a large house on the St. Donats Road. Tudor Crawshay and his wife, Mary, from Kew, were there from 1900 to 1921. He became deputy Lieutenant of Glamorgan, J.P. and was vicar’s warden of St. Illtud’s Church. Their son Mervyn was killed in WW1 but their other son, Owen, married and lived in Tresillian House. He had one daughter Sylvia. [See Vol.5]

BASSETT.

The family descended from the Bassetts of Beaupre. One Llantwit branch descended from Christopher, who lived at Great House, Siggingstone. He married Mary Hooper who inherited Boverton House from her uncle in 1815. This became the family home for their six children. The house was sold after 1892. Until then, the spinster sisters, Mary and Joan, called “The Miss Bassetts”, lived there and were later joined by their widowed sister Mrs. Pemberton. The solicitor, Elias Bassett, was their father’s brother. He lived at Ivy or Court House, High St. He gave the land in Methodist Lane to build Tabernacle Chapel.

ANDREWS

The Andrews family kept the Post Office in Wesley Street, Llantwit Major from around 1870. The first Post Master was William Andrews. His son, Hughie Andrews, took over from him and remained as Post Master until 1941.Hughie Andrews was a sportsman, historian and photographer who recorded life in Llantwit Major in his diaries and by his photography. He has therefore provided a valuable archive of the town from the 1920s to the 1950s. [See Vols 1-7]