The Old School

One of the oldest surviving secular buildings in the town, belonging to the Raglan family. It then became the rectory for the parish before being converted in the early 1870’s into the Board School.

 


View Larger Map

 

Old School

Either the Silver Jubilee of King George V or the coronation of George VI

See below for a map of Llantwit Major’s notable historic buildings

Location of Notable Buildings:

More Buildings:

The Old Police Station

The Old Police Station

When the Glamorgan Constabulary was established in 1841, a constable was allocated to Llantwit Major, reporting to the sergeant in  Cowbridge. The police station was built a few years later and originally comprised a single storey with a living room and kitchen in the...

read more
The Gatehouse and Columbarium (dovecot)

The Gatehouse and Columbarium (dovecot)

These are the only surviving buildings from the Grange belonging to Tewkesbury Abbey. The abbey had been given the land, shortly before he died, by Robert Fitzhamon, Earl of Gloucester and first Norman Lord of...

read more
The Town Hall

The Town Hall

This building is similar in many ways to those of the ancient boroughs of Cowbridge and Cardiff. Its construction is usually attributed to Gilbert de Clare, Lord of Glamorgan, who died in 1295, but manorial records...

read more