The best place to start is at the Information Centre in the TOWN HALL. It was never a town hall, since Llantwit Major never had a charter and had no self-government until the first parish councils were set up. It was originally a court house for the manor of Boverton and Llantwit, and the present building dates from the late 16th century.
The buildings of the Town Square, around the War Memorial which was originally a preaching cross, date from the Tudor period.
The OLD WHITE HART and the OLD SWAN were built as private houses for the Raglan family,
as was the OLD SCHOOL or Knolles Place at the top of the square.
Down the hill, Church Street leads to ST. ILLTUD’S CHURCH, standing on a site where Christ has been worshipped for over 1,500 years. The porch gives entry to the West Church, which contains a fine collection of Celtic stones and effigies of a priest and an Elizabethan lady.
In the East Church, which was added in the 13th century, are interesting wall paintings, a rare Jesse niche, a superb reredos and a range of memorials.
On the hill above the church is the site of a medieval grange, a large farm on land given to Tewkesbury Abbey. The only surviving buildings are the GATEHOUSE and a DOVECOTE. Nearby are the original POLICE STATION and the row of cottages known as HILLHEAD, built originally to house the poor.
On College Street stands PLYMOUTH HOUSE, once the town house of the Stradlings of St. Donats.
The western edge of the town, along West Street and Castle Street, passes an overgrown ruin usually known as the Old Place. It dates from 1596, but was only occupied for about a hundred years.
At the northern end of the old town stands the Great House or Ty Mawr or Upper House, a superb example of a Tudor town house.