The books listed above are available online to purchase via Nickleby’s.
All our publications/books listed are available from the Society at meetings or on Friday afternoons at the Archive room and at Nickleby’s bookshop in the town.
The archive room is open 3pm – 5 pm every Friday.
The archive room attendance is by appointment only via the Secretary (Sue Pattinson – 07742178342).
CONTENTS VOLUME 1 2003
- 1] Llantwit Major: Ancient town of my birth: Recollections of Illtud Thomas: 1894
- 2] Colhugh: A discussion of the origin of the name.
- 3] A very intelligent architect: Matthew Digby Wyatt of Dimlands and The Ham.
- 4]Statistical analysis of the L.M. census of 1841
- 5]A view from the Post Office: A selection from the diaries of Hughie Andrews. 1929.
- 6]A tribute to Daniel Hopkins. 1886-1951
- 7] Origin and activities of the L.Major Local History Society from 1967
CONTENTS VOLUME 2 2003
- 1]Summerhouse Point: Iron Age fort/As part of the Boverton Estate/Hafod girls’ camp.
- 2]] Evan Seys of Boverton Place. 1604-1685
- 3] Keeping the peace in Llantwit Major:
- 4]Statistical analysis of the L.M. census 1851
- 5]A view from the Post office: Diary of 1931
- 6]The Price family of The Hayes.
C. Young. W. John. J. Clifford. A Butler
- 7]A book review of ‘ Brat’s Progress’ by Wyndham Deere 1940s
CONTENTS VOLUME 3 2003
- 1]The visit of Edward VIII to Trebeferad: 1936
- 2]Theophilus Redwood 1806-1892
Dr. Peter Thomas. Introduction-Vivian Kelly
- 3]Bethesda’r Fro chapel.
- 4]Statistical analysis of the L. M. census 1861
- 5]A view from the Post Office: Diary of 1934
- 6] Professor Glyn Daniel: 1914-1986
- 7]Changing Times: Remembrances of St Donats 1940s – 2000
- Alice Thomas
CONTENTS VOLUME 4 2004
- 1]The excavation of the Roman Villa at Cae Mead. 1888
- 2]Landmarks and Place names in Llantwit Major
- 3] The story of Hillhead.1817-1929
From the deeds provided by Mrs. Margaret Jenkins.
- 4]Statistical analysis of the L.M. census of 1871
- 5]Ghostly funerals.
Recounted c 1940 by Lizzie Howells
- 6] The Hughie Andrews diary of 1936.
- 7]Professor William H. Davies 1910- 1983
- 8]Eva Davies: One girl’s name on the war memorial.1896-1914
- 9]The bells of St. Illtud’s Church.
CONTENTS VOLUME 5 2005
- 1]The Vale of Glamorgan Railway makes a comeback. Opened 1897 re-opened 2005
- 2]The Bruce sisters of Blaen y Cwm
- 3]Reminiscences of Llantwit Major during WWII. Part 1
- 4] The Oddfellows in Llantwit Major
- 5]Statistical analysis of the L.M. census of 1881
- 6]The road to the beach: built 1882
A Contemporary account
- 7]The Hughie Andrews diary of 1938
- 8] The Crawshays of Dimlands 1900-1940s
- 9]A nostalgic view of Alan’s shop: butcher in Church Street
CONTENTS VOLUME 6 2006
- 1]Llantwit Major Rugby Football Club founded 1889
- 2] The Llantwit Major affray [between Seys family and Van family] of 1597
- 3]Morgan Stuart Williams- restorer of St, Donats Castle. 1846-1909
- 4] Llantwit Major in WWII [1943-1945] Part two.
- 5]The War memorial 1947
- 6]Statistical analysis of the L.M. census. 1891
- 7] The weather in Llantwit 1891
From newspaper reports
- 8] Hughie Andrews diaries of 1939-1940
- 9] Llantwit’s Duffryn House.
From the deeds
- 10] Six Wells Farm: A Casualty of War.
CONTENTS VOLUME 7 2007
- 1]Twenty –five years of town twinning. 1982-2007
- 2]James Kennett of L.M: The farm worker’s champion 1877-1961
- 3]The Wilkins family of L.Major and the land they acquired 1670-1919
- 4[ The Vachell family of Cardiff and the dispersal of Wilkins land. 1755-1950
- 5]Statistical analysis of the LM census of 1901
- 6]The funeral of Mrs.Nicholl of The Ham 1905
- 7] Hughie Andrews diary of 1941
- 8]Post and telecommunications in LM
- 9]The cinema years 1938-1970
- 10]The Beach at Llantwit Major
CONTENTS VOLUME 8 2008
- 1]The Celtic Monastery in Llantwit Major.
- 2] The search for Illtud’s monastery.
- 3] Notes in answer to reader’s queries
- 4] The manor of Boverton and Llantwit: Creation and settlement 1090-1924
- 5]Marie Trevelyan: An authoress with three names.1853-1922
- 6]An old wedding custom: chaining the church gate.
- 7] The Bassettts of Sigginston 1734-1887
Karen Isaac Rees
- 8] The two Georges of the Kibblewhite family.
- 9]The meat contract.[ between Mr. Thomas Island House and Fonmon Castl.c 1912/13.]
- 10] The Llantwit Major Coastguard sevice.1871-2008
- 11] The rescue from the wreck ‘Ideal’: 1938
Report by Coastguard Lomax
VOLUME 9 2009
- 1]Iolo and the Samson Pillar
- 2]Education in Llantwit Major
- 3]Woodford House: a social history
- 4]The pilgrimage of Father Ignatius to Llantwit Major 1884
- 5]Local sports 18th century :
- 6]The Baldwin family adventures
- 7]Reminiscences of the shops and shop-keepers from the 1930s-1960s
Compiled by Tony Wilkins and Christine Young
VOLUME 10 2010
- 1]Introduction to local agriculture
- 2] Local farming in the 19th century: Downcross and East Monkton
Diaries of Thomas Evans
- 3]Old agricultural traditions remembered
- 4] Mills in and around Llantwit Major.
- 5] The Wick Road hay driers
- 6] West Street pool
- 7] A walk along West Street and Castle Street
- 8] The visit of Thomas Carlyle to Llantwit Major.1843 and 1850
- 9]The growth and development of Llantwit Major from 1930
- 10] The building of the outer by-pass. Completed 1978
- 11] The proposed international Airport at Llantwit Major.1944
CONTENTS VOLUME 11 2011
- 1] Reserved for the lord. A brief history of Boverton.
- 2] Boverton Village. A compilation of village memories.
- 3]Rees Thomas 1841-1924: Farmer at Boverton Place.
- 4]The Welsh Land Settlement scheme.
- 5]The Blue Pilgrims [of Woodford House]
- 6]County Councillor Percy Smith [of Boverton]
- 7]Old Christmas traditions in Llantwit Major.
C. Redwood/ V.Symmonds/ J. Griffiths.
VOLUME 12 2012
- 1]The Raglans of Llantwit Major 1455-1534
- 2] Plymouth House Farm and Farmers
- 3] Living at Plymouth House 1930s to 1950s.
Joan Franzinetti and Morgan DiRodi
- 4] Daniel Jones .Lawyer, farmer and benefactor 1754 -1841
- 5] The Garsed family of Moorlands farm.
- 6] Noah Morgan of Penybryn Farm and the Morgan family.
- 7] Morgan Board and Great Frampton
- 8] Batslays Farm.
- 9] The Llantwit Major Youth Club in the 1940s and 50s.
With contributions from Jim Grifffiths and Faith Francis
VOLUME 13 2013
- 1] Defending Llantwir Major during WW II
- 2] Memories of wartime along the Heritage Coast
- 3]The Llantwit Major Volunteer Brigade 1903-1908
- 4] A Ladies Maid who worked in Five Castles.
Recollections of Lizzie Ann Powell
[Llantwit’s real life version of Downton Abbey]
- 5] The Fallen (named on Llantwit Major war memorial)
- 6] Memories of Ham
Recollections of Arthur Williams, Vernie and Donald Symmonds
- 7] Marcross and St. Donats school records 1876-1918
- 8] Ask for the Coastguard
The experiences of Steven George
- 9] Vagabonds, Tramps and Cheap-jacks .
Recollections of Randolph Deere, Thora John and Glyn Davies
VOLUME 14 2014
- SURVEY OF THE PROPERTIES ALONG COLHUGH STREET and FLANDERS ROAD
VOLUME 15 2015
- 1] Sigingstone village
Victoria inn: Village Hall: Great House: Green Farm: Pump House:
Cross Farm: Moorshead.
Brenda Youde and Colin Thomas
Inter War and Post War:
Llandow Air Crash.
- 2] Tabernacle Chapel
- 3] Mounting Blocks in Llantwit Major 7 photographs
- 4] The Roman Villa at Caer Mead
- 5] Two Theories: The Ancient origin of St. Brides Way
Was there a water wheel at the Grange of St Illtyd’s Church
- 6] The National Egg collection
- 7] The Town Square
Town Hall: The Swan: The White Hart: The Globe Inn
- 8] Lighting up Llantwit’s Streets
Memories from Glyn Davies
“Llantwit Major in Focus” photographs 2017