The Great House

 

Sometimes called Ty Mawr or Upper House, its association with the Nicholl family goes back to their first arrival in the parish in the Elizabethan period. The building originally consisted of a square central section to which a southern wing was added providing further accommodation, and a northern wing made up of a stable and dovecot. At the end of the nineteenth century the building fell into disrepair. After several half-hearted attempts at restoration the house became habitable again in the 1950’s.


View Larger Map

 

Downcross

This photo must date from before 1905 when the thatched roof on Downcross was replaced. The fine Tudor mansion, Great House, (Ty Mawr or Upper House ) can be seen in the centre. To the left, under the arch, is Samson or Nancy’s Well.

See below for a map of Llantwit Major’s notable historic buildings

Location of Notable Buildings:

More Buildings:

The Old Police Station

The Old Police Station

When the Glamorgan Constabulary was established in 1841, a constable was allocated to Llantwit Major, reporting to the sergeant in  Cowbridge. The police station was built a few years later and originally comprised a single storey with a living room and kitchen in the...

read more
The Gatehouse and Columbarium (dovecot)

The Gatehouse and Columbarium (dovecot)

These are the only surviving buildings from the Grange belonging to Tewkesbury Abbey. The abbey had been given the land, shortly before he died, by Robert Fitzhamon, Earl of Gloucester and first Norman Lord of...

read more
The Town Hall

The Town Hall

This building is similar in many ways to those of the ancient boroughs of Cowbridge and Cardiff. Its construction is usually attributed to Gilbert de Clare, Lord of Glamorgan, who died in 1295, but manorial records...

read more