Plymouth House

It used to be claimed that Plymouth House was one of the surviving halls of residence from Illtud’s monastery. Its history does not go that far back but there is evidence that it may incorporate the remnants of a halled house of the fifteenth century. It was often referred to as the Great House and belonged to a branch of the Stradling family who purchased it along with the estate known as Abbot’s or West Llantwit at the time of the dissolution of the monasteries. When their line died out the property reverted to the maternal line. They were created Earls of Plymouth and it was only in the nineteenth century that the present name came into use.


View Larger Map

Related Posts

Wartime British Restaurant (now Illtud’s 216)

Wartime British Restaurant in Llantwit Major. In 1940 to combat the severity […]

Angel Inn Wine Street
Angel Inn

On Wine Street at the far end was a pub called the […]

The Strand Cinema

Llantwit Major The Cinema Years. Llantwit Major had a cinema from 1939 […]

Boverton Place

Queen’s Attorney to the Council of Wales and the Marches in the […]

Bethesda’r Fro

This simple whitewashed building on the road to Eglwys nestles between the […]

Bethel Baptist Church

In 1830 Bethel was “ erected for the use of the Particular […]

The Old School

One of the oldest surviving secular buildings in the town, belonging to […]

The Old White Hart Inn

This is described as an end-entry house built in the late sixteenth […]

The Old Swan

This was probably a substantial local dwelling built in the sixteenth century. […]

The Court House

The house was built in the early eighteenth century and substantially altered […]