This row of houses was built in the early years of the nineteenth century as housing for the poor of the parish. When the workhouse in Bridgend was opened they became surplus to requirements and were sold as private residences. Originally each unit was divided into two with separate upper and lower accommodation.
According to legend Hillhead was a block of cells for the monks at Illtyd’s monastery. In fact the block was built as houses for the poor on land donated to the parish in 1809. With the Poor Law Reform Act, a workhouse was established in Bridgend and Hillhead was sold. A number of the poorer families lived there and the row came in for criticism in the 1890s when the local doctor called for them to be demolished. However they have been well restored and are now much sought after.