When the Glamorgan Constabulary was established in 1841, a constable was allocated to Llantwit Major, reporting to the sergeant in  Cowbridge. The police station was built a few years later and originally comprised a single storey with a living room and kitchen in the front with cells at the rear. In 1876 a second floor with four bedrooms was added with zinc foul air flues in the walls of the back bedrooms from the cells. The building remained in use until 1928 when the new station was built in Wesley Street, closer to the centre of the town.

Related posts: